Sticky in the middle :)


A surprising little treat that I eventually grew to love is Pão de Queijo (cheese bread)

Pão de Queijo that is well made, has a crispy outside with a warm soft sticky center. At first it was difficult to swallow, as I was somehow raised with the idea that bread was undercooked and should not be eaten if the center was sticky.

I think the name "cheese bread" is a bit deceiving, I incorrectly though the center was going to be filled with cheese and that would have made sense as to why the center was sticky. It wasn't at all what I had expected when I first bit into one, it is actually the dough that is sticky and has a slight cheese flavor. I have to admit that it was only after I returned home to the USA the first time that I actually realized I liked Pão de Queijo and missed it. Now I consider it one of my favorite breakfast items.

It is one of those things that when I see it, it instantly reminds me of Brazil, like Carnival and Samba. Even though I eat mine in the early morning, Pão de Queijo can be eaten any time of the day.I see it the most in the mornings; many people will stop at a corner bakery and buy a freshly baked Pão de Queijo with a glass of juice for breakfast. It is a salty treat that to me should be listed as a national treasure :).

1 comment:

Denise H. said...

That looks Tasty! But I can see how it would be hard to get used to.