I walk...

I went walking with some old folks today. If you know me, then you know that I prefer walking with the seniors than I do walking with a bunch of teenagers. I don't know what it is about these silver haired people that I love, but even as a kid I loved working at the senior citizen center. I guess I can thank my Grandparents (who ran the senior center) for getting me involved and making me feel comfortable around the older folks. I loved being around my Grandma and she was always at the "center" so, if I wanted to visit with her, the best thing to do was volunteer and work along side her. Anyway, so walking with the old folks, was a treat.

I am walking with a group from my health insurance company. My insurance company (Unimed) has a preventative medicine sector and I was given a referral by my cardiologist to take part in the programs they offer. After my evaluation by the physical therapist, I was invited to join the walking program at the park. The group of walkers meet every day at 7:30 in the morning, to go for a walk. There is also a program for physical therapy once a week (I am sure this is going to help build up my hip strength that I desperately need). I don't know why more insurance companies don't invest in things like this. I really hope the next step is them getting a giant swimming pool so I can take advantage of that on a hot day :)

So, I arrived at the park yesterday and was a bit shy at first. I tend to be painfully shy when I first meet people, until someone starts talking to me. The shyness soon fades with seniors because they are so funny and talkative that I get pulled right in. Anyway, I started my warm up with all of them and I was standing next to a lady who looked to be about 75 years old. The young trainer starts showing us what stretches to do. Arms above head, arms behind back... leg up on rail... my heart skipped a beat. Dread! How am I going to put my leg up on that rail? I looked to my left and Mariana (my friend who decided to walk with me) was struggling to put her foot half way up the fence because she could not reach the top rail. I looked to my right and the 75 year old had her leg up on the rail and nearly above her head. My jaw dropped! I could not believe it. I can't tell you how long it took me to wiggle my leg up half the way she had it. I can't believe I was showed up by a little old lady. I laughed about it several times yesterday, and my cardiologist was totally right when he said "you could really use some exercise."

No comments: