Peanuts!


I know this is another post about food, what can I say, I love the stuff!

Peanut butter is something I have found myself craving since I have been here. If you go into a Brazilian supermarket expecting to pick up a jar of the good old Jiff, you will be disappointed to find out the creamy goodness is missing from the shelves.

I know, can you believe it? What do these poor kids eat? I can't imagine my childhood without peanut butter!

What do they have? Well... I did find this (see picture) thing called Amendocrem (translated means peanut cream). the only thing similar to peanut butter is the color and that it is made with peanuts, the similarities end there. It is some strange concoction of peanuts, sugar, honey and oil. You can feel the sugar granules scratch against your tongue as you eat it. The peanuts are a mix of chunky,smooth and stale. I was thinking today about how the texture reminds me of a facial scrub.

A tub of 250 grams of this stuff will cost you about 5 Reais (about $2.30). So, I think I am going to smuggle some real PB into Brazil the next time I travel home. Maybe if these Brazilians get a taste of Jiff, they might stop looking at me like I am crazy when I say I am craving Peanut Butter.

1 comment:

slightly insane mother of 5 said...

Well, that does not sound like the good old peanut butter we have here. Love it too!! WE go through so much. It is the staple of life in our family. Not sure I could change it for facial scrub.