Fountain of superstition.

I thought Americans were superstitious, I have been amazed though by how many things Brazilians are superstitious about. I could make a list that went on for pages and pages of the superstitions I have encountered while I have been here. I wont though! I will just tell you a few of my favorites.

First there is the superstition about eating lentils on new years. You have to eat them so you will have luck all year. More of a financial success rather than just good luck.

You wear a certain color of underwear on new years and depending on the color it will bring something to you for the new year. White clothes will give you luck.

You need to have a pepper plant in your home to ward off the "evil eye".

Placing a bottle of water with charcoal in it at your door will absorb any bad energy that comes past it.

If you carry a American dollar bill in your wallet, you will never run out of money. This one is my favorite... My mother visited Brazil and gave a dollar bill to a lady. The lady was going through a divorce. She found a new man within 3 months and is now a very happy and rich lady. So... who knows, maybe there is something to this.

That is all for now... I might post again some other day, with some more of these superstitions.

1 comment:

Denise H. said...

WOW! Those are some interesting superstitions. I love the underwear one. haha