On Demand


There are a lot of things in Brazil that are on demand. What I mean by that, we make it when we need it. One of those things is hot water. You wont see a water heater in a typical Brazilian home. If you want hot water, you do what any normal person would do, you mix water and electricity!!!

I think this is still one of the things I have never totally relaxed about. You walk into a Brazilian shower and you will see a very large shower head with wires running from it into the wall or to a box on the wall.

There is something strange and frankly frightening about standing under live wires while water runs town your face. When I first used these showers, I used to take my shower as fast as I could and then run out, thankful I was alive. I don't think I fear it as much as I used to, I find that I am able to relax and enjoy the super heated water a little more (but it has taken a few years). I have never personally heard of anyone dying from these showers, but is it possible to mix electricity and water and not have accidents? I don't think that little nagging voice of common sense will ever go completely away (at least lets hope it doesn't).

The advantage to having an electric shower head... it is a lot cheaper than keeping the water heater running all day long. Also, lets face it... it is much more entertaining than a regular old water heater shower ... ha ha!

3 comments:

Denise H. said...

WOW I had no idea!

Although when we were in Greece each home had these wierd things on their roof that looked like large metallic battery and Heath told me that was where their water was stored and heated by the sun.

slightly insane mother of 5 said...

You know they should come up with something like that here. Actually they kind of do, where you do not have the big hot water heater that fills up, you have some thing that as you need the hot water it runs through it and gets hot. It is suppose to save lots of money. I can emagine how much you might be able to save. So I guess that is a great idea the way they do it, it just needs to be a little safer

Justin said...

levei um choque uma vez..I had a companion who refused to turn it on so he wouldn't get spoiled when he returned to his home in the nordeste--which meant I had to turn it on every morning and one time I got a little jolt to the arm. Oh the memories. :)