Brazil vs. USA (Cultural Differences)

I’ve been mulling over where I should pick this blog back up. I have shown a lot of information about food and traditions here in Brazil but I think this blog is in desperate need of some cultural and social comparisons with the country I was born.
Here they are and in no rational order.Oh and please keep in mind that these are just my opinions!!!

USA
BRAZIL
I will do it alone
We will do it together
Omit the truth = Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
Omit the truth= Harmony and Peace
No!
Let’s see, well, perhaps, Maybe
Confront me= bring it on, I could use some good advice.
Confront me= You are being rude to me.
Tell me exactly what you expect me to do, or how you would like me to react.
Ambiguous communication to put across and ever expanding range of emotional responses.
The social protocol is the same for everyone.
Members of different social groups have different social protocol.
Authority= you have earned it.
Authority = anyone older, more educated or richer than me. And the police are exempt from consideration.
Go out and earn a living my child.
Stay home and help me out a bit longer.
Be fruitful and multiply (in your own home)
Be semi-fruitful and multiply once or perhaps twice (in our home).
Grandma and Grandpa can be found in room 3382A at the local nursing home.
Grandma and Grandpa can be found down the hall on the right, just past Mom and Dad’s room.
Let’s have a BBQ = Just the immediate family and maybe a few friends.
Let’s have a BBQ= Anyone who has our blood running though their veins and all of their neighbors. Oh and don’t forget the family pets as well.
Beer= Let’s get drunk.
Beer= Damn it is hot and I am thirsty.
I alone stand… I alone fall.
We stand together… We fall together.
Moving out= Get a house in a different city, county and perhaps state.
Moving out= buying the house or apartment a block from Mom’s place.
18= don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
18= you have 10 more years to settle down with a partner and get married. After that, we will talk about buying you the house next door.
Not making it to parent teacher conference= you don’t love or support your child nor his/her education.
Not making it to parent teacher conference= you probably had the best of intention but Aunt Carolina came for coffee just as you were grabbing your keys to leave.
Billy is going to be expelled from school= I am taking my lawyer with me to the meeting.
Billy is going to be expelled from school= He probably deserves what punishment they give him. I will admit fault and they will go easy on him.
If your voice is loud= you are being aggressive and screaming at me.
If your voice is loud= what do you mean my voice is loud… this is how I normally talk.
Party time: from 6:00 – 12:30
Party time: What??? Nobody can tell me when the party stops!!! If it’s over, come to my place and we will continue.

No comments: