The Beast!

Yesterday I posted about laundry and I mentioned I wanted a dryer. It reminded me that my mom still has not seen a picture of "The Beast", so I will take care of that problem now. The Beast is what I lovingly call my washing machine. It is a nice little story about how I came to own it.

When I first moved to Brazil, I was not fully aware of how things worked here, despite having lived here before for a few years. There were still things I had never come across in the past. I had no idea that washing machines were sold by how many kilos of clothes they would wash. The washer I purchased seemed a bit small in size but I assumed it was just the brand. I didn't pay much attention to anything but the price of the machine.

I got the washing machine delivered and started my first load of clothes. It was only then that I noticed how small the basket really was, and that the center agitator was not there. I could only really fit about 2 pants and 3 or 4 shirts at one time. I took out the manual and started to read up. I noticed on the manual a giant 4 kilos in a big circle. I thought... wow that is one light weight washer. I asked myself...hum, does the machine really only weigh 4 kilos ? I went out to the machine, tipped it back on two legs and thought, well it is kinda light. Closed the manual and kept using the washer. It broke after a few weeks of use, I had it repaired and was told it was a broken spring. Well the same thing kept happening over and over. Then I pulled out the manual about 3 months into using the machine to look at some odd ball thing I was curious about. It was only then that Mariana pointed to the cover and said, wow it only washes 4 kilos of clothes at a time. Talk about a DOH moment. (insert sound effect) ;)

So, my new machine (now out of return date). was basically only good for washing a few items. I was trying to wash blankets and towels and jeans in the poor thing. I was stuck with it, because I had paid almost a grand for it. I used it for 4 years, it sat dormant for 1 year because I got to the point I could not stand it. I washed clothes by hand for a year before Mariana and I could get up enough money to buy an new one. It may not seem like a big deal, but it was a huge deal for me.

So, we took advantage of every cent we had to spend and we purchased "The Beast". She is actually a beauty but because she washes 15 kilos of clothes, I lovingly call her "The Beast". I was totally giddy when I got the machine home, I spent all week trying to overfill it. I can wash two massive blankets at one time, not that I needed to do it, I just did it because I could. Ha ha ha. I love it!

PS... don't make fun of the fact she is not a front loader... I worked at Sears and would never buy a front loader! :)  Here she is...
I love you!

3 comments:

slightly insane mother of 5 said...

Don't dis on the front loaders :)

Allison said...

I love it! So glad you got a washer that actually takes care of the workload. I have never had a front loader and don't know if it is better than a top loader. I just never have had one.

tropichahni said...

I wont say that the top loader washes better than the front loader, but I can tell you that when you have problems mechanically (which you will) with the front loader... you are in for a lot of time and money. When I worked at Sears, the washers that had the most issues were the front loaders. Most of the time there were problems with the rubber not sealing off the water well and people were having flooded floors. Also if you have a suds issue from using too much or the wrong soap... it is a nightmare!

I still think the old washers like grandma used to have are the best BEST!!!! :D