Germinating

I finally got myself organized enough to start germinating some seeds. The package says they should be planted this month or last month and some even the month before, I really don't understand why they say I should plant in the middle of winter. I guess when you live in an area that is either really hot or kinda cold, planting can go on almost any time of the year. I did pick up a few packets and saw the bright yellow (go ahead and plant) mark  across all months of the year.

In reality, this is my second attempt in the past 5 years to get things to grow here. You would think that things would just grow and grow in this tropical environment. I am here to attest that you MUST still have a green thumb in Brazil. My first attempt at planting was very disastrous and costly. If you believe in negative energy like most of the people (that I know here) do, then there must have been a bad spirit hovering around my plants, just waiting to suck the life out of them. There is a common belief here in Brazil (I talked about it in a previous post) that someone with negative energy can walk by a pepper plant and dry it right up. Well, I don't know if it is coincidence or not, but that very thing happened to about a dozen plants of mine. I had a visitor who came for a few hours and when she had left, the plants were dried up and my dog was vomiting. Who knows what that was... but it does make you raise an eyebrow. The plants that survived the ladies visit, turned to dust a few months later when a swarm of mites came down on them, then ants attacked them to have a mite lunch. Sad, Sad, Sad!

So, this time, it is a different house and there are already plants growing well here, so if disaster strikes again, we will see about placing some blame on me. It all depends on my mood though.

I planted: Tomato, Cherry Tomato, Okra, Onion (green), Garlic, several types of Peppers, Peas and a few flowers.

Now I need a lot of green luck!

No comments: