Dirty Laundry.

Yes Mom, I'm rockin' the ASU shirt!!!
I don't have a clothes dryer. Don't look at me like I am crazy! It isn't very common to have a dryer in Brazil. In fact, I have yet to be invited into a home where there was actually a dryer residing. I know that part of the reason must be tradition, and the other must be because they are expensive. You can usually get a washing machine for about  R$1,000 bucks or less, but a dryer will cost you at least double if not triple that. I have my eye set on a dryer that costs about R$2,500.00  and my parents are not rich, so.. needless to say, it will be a while before I can afford that.

I don't mind hanging out the laundry. I find it fascinating that on a really hot day, my clothes are bone dry in about 20 min. The problem is, when my hips start hurting... I can't stand there long enough to hang it. I have to be moving this hip around or it locks up on me. I know, I know, I already sound like I am 75.

The other drawback to hanging out my laundry ... my socks! I swear that the manufactures of socks must assume everyone owns a dryer. My socks don't regain shape and just get bigger and bigger each time I wash them. I can't stand it! almost all of my socks are now considered "stay at home" socks. I have to buy new socks every few weeks, and they are not cheap.

So, if you think about the fact that most Brazilians don't use a clothes dryer, you can imagine that it is a fairly common sight to see clothes hanging from lines as you drive down the streets. However, in most areas, the clothes line has tactfully been hidden in the back yard, but you will on occasion see this...
Laundry Day

No comments: