Only read if you have a strong stomach.

Here is where my personal life is going to get really mixed up in my blog.
I have had a battery of tests the past few days and tomorrow evening it will all end with a bang as I get my first ever colonoscopy.  I was given a piece of paper that told me what I have to do to prepare my bowls. The last time I ate was last night and I won't be eating anything solid again until almost 48 hours later. I think the thing that scares me the most is not the exam (since I will be sedated for that it doesn't scare me) but the preparation. Basically I have to survive on liquids and laxatives for 48 hours.

It makes me wonder... How, when someone gives a hoot, we can make amazing advancements in medical treatment, but when nobody cares, and there is no funding, we are stuck with "whatever works the best". I find it amazing that we can break up kidney stones with lasers, make major heart and organ repairs with keyhole surgery, but I still have to sit on the toilet for 2 days to have someone look at my colon. I could have my hip replaced and be in my recovery bed in the amount of time it takes me to clean out my bowel for someone to have a look.

I guess the whole prospect of 2 days of no eating is the most scary when you have blood sugar issues. I have really bad sugar drops about 2 to 3 hours after I eat. I am really scared I am going to have a drop during the next 48 hours.

I guess I should just stop worrying about it and get on with it... but then again, that just isn't how my head works.
I will see you all later with an update.

No comments: