When Faux Went Horribly Wrong!

We have a cracked and chipped white bowl that sits as a centerpiece to the dining room table. In this bowl is the remainder of what was once a beautiful (I am only guessing as to it's former charm) arrangement of some colorful fruit. I can only guess the age of this fruit to be older than 10 years. The age is not the problem, I could handle some vintage fruit in my house. The problem is the fruit was unwisely made of wax. Now, I know wax is typically a great medium for molding and coloring. I don't think the artist, nor the consumer thought about the fact we live in Brazil before making/buying it.

I don't really know how long the fruit lasted, I assume it made it half way through one summer here in Brazil and each year the fruit gets rotated and melts a little more to one side. The banana is a thin wavy strip of yellow, the apple has half melted, the pear looks like yellow ball of wax. The only partial save, are the grapes that are made of plastic, however they trap water and get moldy. I don't know what to do to revive it, I do know that it makes for the most awful centerpiece I have ever seen. Unfortunately it has "sentimental value" and the other occupants of the house don't see it as I do.

So that leads to my next thought... What items am I attached to, and could I bring myself to toss those items away if they were dust bin worthy.   - faux fruit isn't one of them.

No comments: